Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Forgotten Movies: LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN



For those who can't abide movies about unlikable characters, Gene Tierney takes the bull by the horns in this one. Has anyone seen more gorgeous sisters than Tierney and Crain? Tierney plays a woman who chooses a man (Wilde) who resembles her much loved father. Anyone who threatens to come between them, including his brother and her sister, is at risk.John Stahl directed a movie that scared me to death as a kid. Surely women like this one did not exist.

9 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Patti, this sounds like an interesting film that I think I'll see.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

A greta movie and a great reposte to anyone who saus that film noir has to mean black and white!

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

OK, a 'great' movie - Greta was nowhere near it ...

Ron Scheer said...

Saw this one recently. This is a kind of "women's picture" that mystifies me. Is the enjoyment to be had the vicarious one of being vicious to others whom you're supposed to love and respect?

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think "evil" either fascinates you or it doesn't. You watch to see the person brought down in the end.

J F Norris said...

Powerful movie with fantastic bravura performances. That scene where Tierney abandons the little boy in the lake -- one of the most chilling and disturbing in cinema of this era. I agree with Patti about "evil" in movie charactes and fiction. With the really awful ones you just can't wait to see them get theirs in the end.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That is exactly the scene that haunted me and when I saw it again a few months ago, as a mother now, it was even worse.

Anonymous said...

Saw it just a few weeks ago on TCM. Despite Tierney's beauty, I found my reaction to be meh. Perhaps a better actress could have conveyed a little more nuance or complexity, but as it was she was just a beautiful psychotic and it seemed like the movie went on and on.

Deb

David Cranmer said...

Not at the top of my favorite Tierney films but have to stop if I'm clicking by.