Wednesday, February 06, 2013

First Wednesdays Book Review CLub


The Blackhouse: A Novel

Although you will find this in the mystery/crime section, it is hardly a mystery at all. Oh, yes, there is a crime solved by Edinburgh Detective, Fin Macleod, on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. But is is more the story of his childhood there and how the events of his last years there affected his life forever. No character is either black or white-not one.

This beautiful book excels in creating a place, a time, and memorable characters. If you are looking for a high body count, or countless interviews between MacLeod and suspects, there is little of that. But if you seek a book full of atmosphere, lovely writing and an introduction to a very different place, you will enjoy this as much as I did.  Highly recommended. Check out Barrie Summy for more reviews.

6 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Great description. I have eschewed male mystery writers for a time. This further compels me to seek out women! Thanks for the heads up!

Linda McLaughlin said...

This sounds good, Patti. I just listened to an audiobook set in Scotland, The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley, and loved it as much for the Scottish accents as anything else. Scotland is a favorite setting for me, so I may give this one a try.

pattinase (abbott) said...

The mystery is negligible. Give it a try.

Sarah Laurence said...

Sounds like an interesting read. I loved your post above on which books embody the 80s.

Anonymous said...

Patti - Oh, I must read this. I've heard from a number of sources that it's very well-done. Thanks for the reminder.

Barrie said...

Highly recommended? Okay. I'm in! Also, Patti, I'm impressed that you figured out how to use the button.