Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Forgotten Movies: The Sterile Cuckoo




Other than CABARET, in which she is brilliant, this is the only Liza Minelli performance that works for me. But it does. She plays a kookie college co-ed, that is poignant in her attempts to forge a relationship with a straighter than straight guy. The boy tries hard, but her eccentricities are too much for him--a little like THE WAY WE WERE.

Sad and with a lovely theme song. COME SATURDAY MORNING.

Todd will have more links for you here. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

first came out. Not only was she "kooky" but as I recall her name was Pookie! Jackie liked it better than I did but I agree, Liza made it watchable,

It was filmed at a college in upstate New York.

Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

It cut off the beginning of my comment, for some unknown reason. Anyway, was just saying that I remember seeing this when it...

Jeff M.

Todd Mason said...

Seeing it for the first time in the dead of night some decades back, I was more uncritical than I might be...but she dug in...have meant to read the novel since...

Brian Busby said...

A novel I bought for 25¢ as a twenty-year-old in his first year of university. Just the right age to read it, I think.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And that's about the age I saw it, I think.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And that's about the age I saw it, I think.

Ron Scheer said...

I think of this as one of those Hollywood transitional movies from c1970. Unconventional, but unsure of itself. Some critic at the time said it looked like it had been directed by telephone from the next town. Mostly I recall Tim McIntire's performance. The neurotic character Liza played didn't click for me. Too straight at the time and probably still am.

Anonymous said...

Patti - Oh, I like that theme song! And I agree: Liza Minelli's performance was great here.