Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Forgotten Movies-Remember the Night




Preston Sturgis wrote the screenplay, Michael Leisen directed this little dollop, which I found charming but left Phil cold. Stanwyck is a petty thief; MacMurray, a DA prosecuting her, when the holidays interrupt the trial. Long story short, they end up on a trip to their Indiana homes. Her home explains her future and his explains his. It looked to be a comedy for the first thirty minutes, but soon evolved into a sentimental piece for Christmas. Either the dialogue and characters are sharp enough to carry it for you or not. Not the best matchup of the two stars obviously but good enough for me.These two had chemistry from the get go. And Stanwyck is just plain good in anything although this film mostly makes use of her ability to be poignant. Was there ever a more versatile actress?
Todd Mason may have more forgotten movies today. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti - Oh, I've never seen this one! I ought to look into it.

Todd Mason said...

Definitely more films linkable in a few. Hm...Stanwyck is among the most chameleonic, isn't she, though always with a certain inner strength...I'm not sure I've ever seen her play a basket case. Kate Winslet takes after her thus, I'd suggest.

Todd Mason said...

And, Happy New Year!

pattinase (abbott) said...

And to you, Todd. Kate Winslet is a good analogy.

Todd Mason said...

And, indeed, happy birthday! The Mummers are indeed marching for you...

Erik Donald France said...

Happy New Year, Patti ~ healthy, happy, onward ~~>

Naomi Johnson said...

I saw this for the first time last Christmas, and for me it's now mandatory viewing during the holidays. Not a perfect film, but Stanwyck makes any film better. And there just aren't enough movies with her and MacMurray together to suit me.

Cullen Gallagher said...

One of my favorite movies. Re-watched it Christmas Morning. She and MacMurray did a few others. THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW, directed by Douglas Sirk, is quite good. THE MOONLIGHTER, a Western, is quite bad. Whatever chemistry they had got lost in all that dust.