Saturday, December 08, 2012

The Three Stooges: A Defense by Anonymous





More than a year ago, I asked why girls didn't like the Stooges. I found this comment on the piece this week and thought it was a wonderful defense. I don't know the writer, but she made me think I had missed something crucial with them. Thanks, Anonymous.
******************************************************************************
I am a girl and I have watched every episode at least once, as well as some of their feature films. I even own 2 of the Three Stooges Collection DVDs, and plan to add to them as I am able. It would be incorrect to say that they aren't good at physical comedy OR witty humor. They had perfect timing (which is harder work than you'd think) and, Larry particularly, had hilarious facial reactions to violence inflicted on another stooge, etc. Also, their shorts DID have a plot, and the boys did a couple very good political satires as well: You Nazty Spy, when Moe, ironically he was Jewish, impersonated Hitler and made fun of the nazi regime (btw, he was the first actor to do this, and he did a startlingly good job), and Three Dark Horses, which was so close to the truth about politics that it was almost painful lol (Shemp: "That 2 hour work week, that really got me!!" Moe: "Ya can't believe all that, thems CAMPAIGN PROMISES!" *smack*)

I think Shemp was the most versatile and experienced actor of the bunch, and had very cleverly funny things to say in any given situation (Shemp: "I had an uncle that could make things disappear!" Moe: "Was he a magician?" Shemp: "No, he was a kleptomaniac!") I personally love Shemp, and most of my favorite stooge episodes have Shemp in them. Plus, where would the Stooges be without their classic eyepoke, which Shemp invented when he got mad at Larry during a card game? Lol

However, Moe is my favorite, maybe because I'm the oldest sibling in my family and have a similar bossy personality and can relate to Moe's constant frustration with his fellow stooges. Also, I share his birthday, which I am VERY proud of. Haha

Larry was a genius, though largely inconspicuous because the playwrights wrote him in that way. He had way more potential than he was able to display. He had some very funny moments throughout the years though ("WHAT STUPID IMBECILIC FOOL PUT THAT UP THERE... oh, I did.. silly me"; and when he breaks out in a wild Tarzan yell in the middle of a packed court room after killing a piece of gum). He runs very closely to Moe for being my favorite, in fact, I think it's a tie!

Curly was the loveable little childlike fat guy who took most of the slaps and rarely fought back. He coined many of the most popular Stooges catchphrases, like nyuk nyuk nyuk and COITENLY! Though I love him too, sometimes his childishness briefly gets on my nerves.

I don't really care for the two Joes, because they weren't really stooge material. They were funny in their own right, I suppose, but not with the Three Stooges.

I know most females don't like them, and some even hate them! But I love them, and right now their films are almost the only thing that can really make me laugh, as my cousin just passed away a couple months ago. I owe them one. :)

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Different strokes for different folks. Its good that we have the 3 stooges if they bring happiness to some. As for me, I still can't watch it.

George said...

I was never a fan of the Three Stooges. Of course, I'm not much of a fan of slap-stick humor, either.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Me either but most men I know love them. I think it might be a need for physicality that doesn't get met for most boys/ men. There is my pop psychology for today.

Rick Robinson said...

I'm with Charles and George.

Cap'n Bob said...

Heretics! The Stooges are the greatest. Other than the lady's curious preference of Shemp over Curly, she's a wise and insightful person.

Todd Mason said...

Are you *sure* most men you know love them, Patti? I gave up on them when I was about 7, after realizing the only one of their films I actually enjoyed was the biter-bit film in which Curly as a ghost comes back to haunt and torture the hell out of Moe.

I suspect that there were others mocking Hitler in film before Moe Howard, though not knowing the date there gets in the way...I suppose I could look it up...

Todd Mason said...

(Perhaps that haunting film was prophetic...Moe Howard and Larry Fine saddled with Joe Besser and Curly Joe DeRita after Curly Howard's passing...I think almost everyone will agree that those films were that much worse than even the Shemp or Curly films.)

Deb said...

Nope--still find them utterly unfunny. My husband on the other hand....

Paul D Brazill said...

Yep, I like them. Laurel & Hardy too, though I'm not a great fan of physical comedy.

Can't stand Chaplin for example, I always want him to get beaten up by the bloke in the dirty vest.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the Stooges in decades, but I did find them funny years ago.

I admit that I have a weak spot for slapstick comedy. I do laugh at things some others might not laugh at, even today.

I do have a slapstick gene.

I have known other women who liked Moe, Curly and Larry. I'm surprised to see there's a gender divide on stoogedom.

And I liked W.C. Fields, too.

Al Tucher said...

Whoever you are, will you marry me?