Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Life at the Theater: Love and Anger




George F. Walker is a renown Canadian playwright whose work should be performed in the U.S. more often. I saw this play at the Attic Theater in Detroit in 1992. Sad to say, I have little memory of it. It originally opened at the Factory Theater (Toronto) in 1989 to positive reviews and standing ovations. It examines a variety of moral issues through the metaphor  of class conflict as embodied in the lives of society's downtrodden. But it is also a comedy.
Walker wrote 19 comedies in 20 years at the time that this one was in Detroit. He is known for making the bizarre believable.
The Attic Theater was big on socially relevant plays as I look through my programs from the years it existed. The Attic was the baby of Lavinia Moyer who still directs theater in Detroit.

2 comments:

Richard L. Pangburn said...

Nice, Patti.

I'd also like you to know, my entry for FBF is up. Michael Dibdin's masterpiece, THANKSGIVING.

Here's the link:

http://trackofthecat.blogspot.com/2012/11/michael-dibdins-thanksgiving-holiday.html

Anonymous said...

Patti - I must admit, this is a play I don't know. But it sounds as though there's a lot to it. Very interesting.