Tuesday, May 22, 2012

THE MORE THE MERRIER

This is surely one of the most delightful movies to come out during the war years-and it actually makes good use of it.

Jean Arthur, in an act of patriotism, decides to rent her extra bedroom out to help with the shortage of housing in D.C.

Charles Coburn (in a terrific performance) finagles his way into the room. He immediately decides she needs a husband and Joel McCrea comes down the street minutes later and is drafted (unknowingly) to perform this function.

Much of the funniest moments are Coburn's as he attempts to follow the rigid schedule Arthur has handed him. But the chemistry between McCrea and Arthur fuels it too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this in many years but I have fond memories of it. As you know I am a huge Jean Arthur fan.

Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

Some other memorable Arthur roles: The Whole Town's Talking, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Easy Living, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

She was nominated for an Oscar for THE MORE THE MERRIER but lost to Jennifer Jones for THE SONG OF BERNADETTE.

Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

Patti - Thanks for this. This is one movie I've not seen. Obviously I need to do something about that.

Charles Gramlich said...

Don't know that I've ever even heard of this one.

John Weagly said...

Great movie!

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

A wonderful film, back when George Stevens was still making charming comedies and not getting quite so bogged down in worthier films on socially significant themes. The cast is incredibly charming - for ages this was quite a hard film to find. Don't know if this was due to the Cary Grant remake, WALK DON'T RUN, which isn;t as good but which I remember quite liking when I saw it about 3 decades ago ...

Naomi Johnson said...

I love this movie. Coburn is so delightful in it. "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead."

Erik Donald France said...

This sounds great -- will check it out ~~ yes!

iluvcinema said...

I have not seen this film all the way through. Definitely on the Must Watch list.

Ed Gorman said...

On of my top fifteen list of all-time classics. Every second of this film works. I've seen it a dozen times over the years and hope to see it a dozen more. Jean Arthur is down right delectable. She lost the Oscar to Jennifer Jones for a Catholic weepie. Coburn and MacRea both deserved Oscars too.