Monday, October 12, 2009

MY TOWN MONDAY: Josh Abbott, Macomb County Prosecutor


I don' t talk much about the older guy in this picture. Josh is a prosecutor in Macomb Country, Michigan. He works in the appellate division, trying to keep felons in jail. This week he was successful with the State Appellate Court in two cases.
Steven Grant's was a high-profile case. He killed and dismembered his wife, Tara, up, stuck her in a freezer in the garage, called the cops and reported her missing. With two children at his side, he was interviewed (tearfully) again and again. Finally he took off barefoot and was chased across the state, arrested, tried and sentenced to a very long term. His appeal was based on not being able to get a fair trial due to the publicity surrounding his case, publicity he was largely responsible for. (A book on this murder came out this week following one last January).

Josh's other case was a mother who stabbed her two young daughters to death, claiming voices told her to do this. She claimed these voices also told her to kill herself but said she had trouble doing this since she had used a knife to kill the two small children (plus the family pets). There were no wounds on her.

Sometimes it worries me that I have two children who spend their days thinking about murder.
But what's a mother to do. Congratulations to Josh for two cases well-prosecuted.

A few other My Town Monday posts can be found at Clair Dickson's blog here.

13 comments:

debra said...

That is intense work! The details must be heart-wrenching.

the walking man said...

Well done Mr. Abbot. Thank you.

Barrie said...

Good thing we have people like your Josh Abbott!

YA Sleuth said...

Wow. Impressive work... I have GREAT admiration for people who can deal with this kind of sadness every day.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks. I do worry about its impact on him when I see him running us through security checks before he drops Kevin off here. (Only Kidding)

Barbara Martin said...

A tough job when dealing with mentally irregular people.

Charles Gramlich said...

that would be a tough job. I'm glad we have good people to do it. I probably couldn't.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Patti,

Kudos to Josh for his dedication to keeping the rest of us out of harms way.

I had to laugh when you wrote:

"Sometimes it worries me that I have two children who spend their days thinking about murder."

I am thinking those apples didn't fall very far from the maternal tree. :)

Terrie

pattinase (abbott) said...

That was my secret meaning.

Clare2e said...

Cool. I make messes on the page that, in real life, dedicated people like Josh have to untangle and resolve. Thank him for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! And that's why I can barely read a thriller, let alone write one. It's hard for my mind to go there. Kudos to those who deal with this every day.

Jack Bates said...

Didn't Grant send letters to that mom shortly after he was arrested? Seems like I remember hearing/reading he tried communicating with her at some point after he was arrested.

pattinase (abbott) said...

God, he's crazy enough. Have to read one of the books and find out.