Wednesday, October 07, 2009

First Wednesday Book Review


Click icon for
more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

Icon not working: See Barrie Summy's site


TIMEBENDS by Arthur Miller

If someone asked me what autobiography I’ve most enjoyed, I would name TIMEBENDS. Arthur Miller was one of America's most famous playwrights (All My Sons, Death of a Salesman, The Price, etc.) TIMEBENDS tells not only the fascinating story of his own life, but the story of the last half of the 20th century. Born to modest means, he elevated himself through hard-work and sheer brilliance, having a Broadway hit with All My Sons in his twenties. He recounts here the story of his own life, career and marriages, but what makes this book great is his take on the people he knew and the times. It is also a history of theater and film. We travel through the McCarthy Hearings, HUAC, the Vietnam War, his marriage to Marilyn Monroe, all of it. He is tough on himself and tough on the times. Most autobiographies focus on the self; Miller also focuses on the rest of it. I have seen a half-dozen of Miller’s plays and always taken away a lot to digest. His life, even more so. Highly recommended.

11 comments:

George said...

I've had TIMEBENDS sitting around here for years, Patti. Now you've motivated me to pick it up and finally read it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think you'll like it, George. The combination of literary, political and Hollywood stuff was intoxicating.

George said...

Arthur Miller, Eugene O'Neill, and all the "serious" American playwrights seem utterly forgotten, Patti. Plays are now recycled vehicles from the past--OKLAHOMA, ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF--or mega productions like CATS and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Miller is still done regularly in England, which seems more appreciative. We get a lot of plays by new playwrights around here because they are cheap. But not always very good, of course.

Scott D. Parker said...

This really sounds good, especially that AM writes about his times, not just himself. I have only seen Death of a Salesman but I really enjoyed it. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it in a long time. Is there a good version to rent on DVD?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Scott, you could do worse than the one with Dustin Hoffman. I remember that as pretty good. Not sure if it was made for TV or not. But the classic version had Lee J. Cobb if I remember correctly.

kayerj said...

I enjoyed your review of this autobiography. It sounds like there is a lot to be learned by reading it. Thanks for the recomendation. If you want to read my review for the month, Two Old Women by Velma Wallis you’ll find it here.

Sarah Laurence said...

I enjoy his plays and this autobiography sounds most interesting. What a life he led! Nice short and snappy review with a good hook.

Sorry about the rejection above. It’s not worth reading too much into it. It’s helpful to know why, but no need to follow it unless it resonates with you.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Sounds like a fascinating read. I love when authors/storytellers include sidebars about what's happening in the world around them.

Rose said...

I'm not much into celebrity tell-alls, but your recommendation makes this sound much more appealing. Just to read about his experiences during the McCarthy era would be enough to intrigue me.

Anonymous said...

I always liked Arthur Miller's work - thanks for the recommendation!