Tuesday, December 23, 2008

THINGS I AM THANKFUL FOR:

Marilyn reading.




(In my online life)

1. All of the writers/readers/reviewers who have contributed to Friday's Forgotten Books since last April. More than a hundred of you. I especially want to thank the people who have done it more than once. Or in some cases, nearly every week. I'd also like to thank Jeff Pierce at The Rap Sheet for joining me in this endeavor. The amazing thing is over 80% of the people I've approached have done a review with little or no nudging.

2. I'd like to thank the editors of zines and print publications who have published my stories this year. My stories often hover between crime and mainstream, so I am especially appreciative of those people who bend their rules and let me squeeze in since there is no zine publishing the softer stories now. Please someone start one. As Mrs. Adams said, "Remember the ladies."

3. I'd like to thank all of those who read and comment on my blog. It does feel like a community to me. Thanks for the recommendations, commiserations, opinions, anecdotes, reviews, etc.

4. I'd like to thank the writers of blogs. Every blog I visit brings something to my day. Whether it's someone sharing the frustrations of writing, the frustrations of life, the good things in their day, the view from their window, the book they have read, the things their children do, life in Texas, information about publishing, sports, politics, their love of Obama, their love of John McCain, music, movies, the lives of women/men--I get something from it and you are kind and brave to offer it.

4. The flash fiction writers who have joined me on my occasional challenges. Putting yourself out there is not easy. I have yet to read one flash that did not delight me. Thanks for caring enough to write such great stories. A special thanks for Gerald So and Mystery Dawg for helping me with this.

5. Travis Erwin for his phenomenal "My Town Monday" project, which has made blogging have a purpose once a week and brought many people closer together. I am getting to know Ohio especially well. The people frequenting Travis' blog are a blessing. I am thankful for each of them.

6. Thanks to those who let me post their picture. And hopefully more will come. I want YOU on there. I'd rather have YOU than Bob Dylan or Tuesday Weld. So send me your pic.

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting, but this puts a dent in it.

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

That's a good list of things to be thankful for. Much of it mirrors my list.

Well said.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I guess we're all coming from the same place in re: to blogging.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing your blog...and your cheerleading for your contributors and friends and family. More cheerleading for yourself would be good.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Todd. One of the people I have been lucky to meet on here.

Martin Edwards said...

And thanks to you, Patti, for a great blog and a great concept for Friday posts!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hats off to one of the good-hearted contributors. Have a good holiday, Martin.

Anonymous said...

Patti: Bleah, I'm such a sentimental slob; I've got a few new cracks on my face from the occasional smile I get from hanging around this joint.:)

John McAuley.

P.S.--I've got a wee idea that I'll e-mail you about after the holidays re: a possible twist if you do any more flash fiction get-togethers.
All the best to you and yours!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yes do, John. I did have an idea for one in January too. But maybe yours is better. Get in touch.

Scott D. Parker said...

Of all the great writing things that have happened this 2008, you inviting me to join your FFB Project is tops. I absolutely love reading the books, writing my reviews, and reading all the other cool books that most have forgotten (or, in my case, experiencing for the first time). Thanks a lot for the invite. And thanks for the great blogs you write I thoroughly enjoy them.

Barbara Martin said...

Patti, you've covered all the items I like in the blogs I visit, including yours. Bloggers have a special community spirit where we are all linked throughout the world. That provides a very nice feeling.

May you and your family have a blessed Christmas, and may you have great creativity in the New Year which brings you prosperity.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Scott--and your great reviews every week is a real plus for FFB. Barbara-reading your lovely review about Ontario is a Monday treat. Makes me ashamed I haven't seen more of it from my close distance.