Thursday, August 23, 2007

Away From It

Steve Allan mentioned his computer had a meltdown, which brought this to mind.

For years, when my husband was writing and I was not, I looked forward to any trip that would take him away from his typewriter (at the time) and let him focus on me (or the kids back then). Now both of us have trouble letting the work go for any extended time. Occasionally I take a laptop along but it usually doesn't work out very well. I can't get the proper focus or mood when I'm looking at a new horizon.

How do you feel about extended periods of time (say, more than a day or two) away from your writing? Does it make you worry that will never be able to work your way back into the story? Do you worry that the "voice" will be lost? Or are we just obsessives at my house?

2 comments:

Steve Allan said...

I'm going absolutely batshit crazy here. I've got the computer at the office, but that's it. Someone please put me out of my misery until I can get to the Apple Store.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Our libraries have computers to use, but probably in Maine...I would go crazy too.