Sunday, April 29, 2007

Hot Fuzz

It may well be that I don't have the necessary references to draw upon for a complete enjoyment of this film For instance, the two films it continually referenced: Bad Boys 2 and Point Blank are blanks for me. As is Reno 911 and all the Police Academy movies. I did get the references to horror movies though.
But I didn't find this film as funny as I expected. I did find it smart, well done and literate-if you know the literature. But shouldn't I have laughed more at a comedy as I did with the fabulous Shaun of the Dead? There were very few minutes of pure glee. And the ending went on forever--I mean it. Thirty minutes of mayhem may be too much.
If I hadn't love Shaun I would put it to age, but I don't think it was...quite. Or maybe watching the entire cast over 50 get smacked upside the head played its part.

No comments: