Sunday, February 04, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

This was a terrific movie but I have one caveat. Why did the villain have to be so one-dimensional? And if he's going to be one dimensional-you can stop showing me his tools of torture after the first time. He did everything but roll his moustache. Maybe it's the fable/fairtale aspect that led to this sort of villain.
I very much liked that the women in this movie were heroic and able to save themselves/or others. I liked their sense of adventure. It was beautifully filmed, acted, etc. The big surprise for me was how little fanstasy it actually had. From the previews I had expected it to be the major element and it was definitely secondary to the Spanish civil war.

Isn't it nice to put on a warm pair of socks on a day like this? Unfortunately I thought so last night and put them on in the theater, then took them off and lost them. If anyone finds a hugely fat pair of blue socks....

No comments: